The surgical removal of the appendix is known as an appendectomy. It is usually an
emergency surgery that is performed to treat an inflammatory condition of the appendix
which is known as appendicitis. Inflammation and swelling of appendix may lead to the
formation of pus inside the organ due to multiplication of bacteria. This build up of bacteria
and pus may cause pain around the belly button or at the lower right section of your
abdomen. This pain may become worse while walking or coughing. You may also experience
diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
The appendix is a small. tube-shaped pouch located in the lower right side of abdomen and
attached to your large intestine. The exact function of the appendix is not clear.
Symptoms of appendicitis include:
You may experience following signs if you have appendicitis.
- Pain that starts near the belly button and spreads to the lower right side of your
- Swelling in abdomen
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Rigid abdominal muscles
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
Surgical removal of Appendix
There are two types of appendectomy:-open and laparoscopic.
1. Open Appendectomy(traditional method)
– A surgeon makes one large incision in the lower right side of your abdomen during an open appendectomy. Your appendix is removed and the wound is then closed with stitches.
2. Laparoscopic Appendectomy
– A surgeon accesses the appendix through a few small incisions made in your abdomen during laparoscopic appendectomy. Through these incisions, laparoscope and other surgical instruments will then be inserted. The laparoscope is an instrument that has a high-resolution camera and a high intensity light at the front. The camera will display the images on a screen, to help your surgeon to see the inside view of your abdomen and guide the instruments. Once the appendix is found, it will be tied off with stitches and removed. Then, small incisions made are cleaned, closed, and dressed.
Advantages of laparoscopic appendectomy-
- Laparoscopic appendectomy has fewer risks than an open appendectomy.
- Only small incisions are made.
- It generally has a shorter recovery time.
- It is usually the best option for people who are overweight.
- It allows visualising of other abdominal organs in case of doubtful diagnosis especially in females.
3. SILS appendectomy (single incision laparoscopic surgery)-
In laparoscopic surgery, SILS is a recently developed technique in which surgeon operates through a single entry point. It is a minimally invasive surgical procedure and typically operates through patient’s navel. It only leaves a single small scar.
Advantages of SILS appendectomy
- It causes less postoperative pain.
- It results in less blood loss.
- It has faster recovery time.