A Pilonidal sinus also called Pilonidal cyst, Pilonidal abcess or Sacrococcygeal fistula is a cyst ( small sac ) or tunnel in the skin. It develops over the tailbone at the top of the cleft of the buttocks. The cyst usually contains hair and skin debris. More than one cyst may develop and these are linked by tunnels under the skin. Dr. Raman Singla(Best Laparoscopic Surgeon Mohali) said that If there is pain or discharge from the Pilonidal sinus, it spells infection and surgery is likely to be needed.
Causes Of Pilonidal sinus
- More common in males
- Sedentary lifestyle
- People who sit for long hours at a stretch
- Thick body hair especially those that are coarse and curly
- Previous injury in the area
- Family history of Pilonidal sinus
- Having a deep cleft between buttocks
- History of previous Pilonidal cyst
Symptoms Of Pilonidal sinus
- Recurring episodes of pain or swelling in the area of the tailbone.
- Yellowish pus-like or bloody discharge from the tailbone area which may be foul smelling
- Painful lump under the skin in that area
- Certain activities like riding a bicycle, doing sit-ups may be very uncomfortable.